Weak Customer Demand is the Problem
Small business owners say their main concern is weak customer demand, not regulations, according to independent opinion polling. This and other results are based on a national survey of 500 small business owners, released by the American Sustainable Business Council, Main Street Alliance and Small Business Majority.
|Small business owners see their top problem as weak customer demand, not regulations:|
Key findings from the survey include:
· Small business owners see their top problem as weak customer demand, not regulations: 34 percent cited weak customer demand as the most important problem for their business, while only 14 percent named government regulations.
· On the question of what would do the most to create jobs, cutting regulations came in low on the list: the top response was eliminating incentives to move jobs overseas at 24 percent; reducing regulation was fifth at 10 percent.
· Small business owners see an important role for standards and safeguards: 78 percent believe some standards are important to protect small businesses from unfair competition, and 76 percent believe regulations on the books should be enforced.
· Small business owners see regulations as necessary for a modern economy: 93 percent agree their business can live with some regulation if it is fair, manageable and reasonable.
· Small business owners express strong support for specific rules and standards: 78 percent support rules to prevent health insurance companies from increasing rates excessively, 84 percent support food safety standards, 80 percent support product safety standards and 80 percent support disclosure and regulation of toxic materials.
· Small business owners support clean energy policies: 79 percent support ensuring clean air and water, and 61 percent support moving the country towards energy efficiency and clean energy.
· Small businesses believe in streamlining government processes: 73 percent of respondents believe we should allow for one-stop electronic filing of government paperwork. HBM For more information on these poll findings, visit: http://mainstreetalliance.org/5511/poll-regs-economy/ . Also visit www.asbcouncil.org ; www.mainstreetalliance.org ; and www.smallbusinessmajority.org. V19-5 Add:10/12 HP: